Thursday, August 27, 2009

Email Pet Peeves

One of my biggest email pet peeves is email signatures.

What’s an email signature? Did you ever notice that at the end of some emails you will see not only the email creator’s name, but their phone number, cell phone number, company name, logo, Web site address, etc. It’s amazing how easy this is to do and how many companies simply over look it.

Why is this so important? I’m out of the office a lot. I use my Blackberry to stay connected. I’ll receive an email from someone who wants an immediate reply. It would be SO EASY just to click on their phone number after their name. But do they bother to add their phone number? No. If they’re not in my system they are going to have to wait until I can get their phone number and call them back.

The interesting thing is that the same people who do NOT have an email signature with phone number OR even bother to type it in the email are the same ones that are annoyed that they don’t receive an immediate phone call. When I do return the call I politely tell them that I was out and mention that I could have quickly responded if they would have added their number to the message. The really annoying thing is they repeat the same old habits.

Having the company’s contact and Web site information makes it easy for the recipient to contact you or visit your site. This email signature should be standard for the entire company. Having everyone use the same font, style and format helps build your brand awareness. Adding your phone increases the response time with phone calls. At least with me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment